Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake...

Lately, life has skipped the lemons and has gone straight to handing me a pitcher of lemonade. Or in this situation rather, cake. Who could possibly complain about having so many fantastic things to celebrate, right?

Eh...

So to start out, it was my birthday (cake). Then I got the new job (cookies & brownies). Then I started the new job (cake, cake, and more cake...the healthcare world really likes cake apparently). David finished his last semester of his AA (pie). Then a friend had a birthday (cupcake and yes, cake). Any apparently the first Friday of every month our department buys treats (cupcakes).

Now my take on this gluttonous behavior has many different angles, and probably to the point of being semi- bipolar. One, cake is a youthful simple of joy and celebration...why not enjoy a sweet memento of your own success? On the other side, I am kind of getting sick of eating cake....But then again, I CAN'T NOT EAT IT! It's like a dang car crash, you just can't stop turning your head. Well, my head keeps turning toward the cake table, and no amount of nutritional information can divert the eye. 

Lastly though, I wouldn't wish NOT eating cake upon anyone. And when I say that, I don't even mean literally eating cake. I mean, why would anyone ever skip out on the opportunity for a celebration? People ask me why I always order champagne when we go for a wine night. Or why David buys me cases of champagne splits instead of beer. My answer is always the same: It's my mini celebration!

The little celebrations are what make life worth living (or make the lemons worth squeezing). I got that from my mother. She believed in celebrating everything...and I have to say that it is the thing that has most made me who I am. So, in honor of Mother's Day, I will celebrate the fact that my mom taught me to enjoy the little victories...probably with some cake.

1 comment:

  1. OH MAN. I'm pretty sure you just documented everything that runs through my head whenever cake is in sight.

    ReplyDelete